Tuesday, September 30, 2008

October 1st-Surgery

Hey Guys!

I don't think I posted this since I am a little behind (shame on me! I know....)
Tomorrow I have outpatient surgery to remove a form of skin cancer that I found out I had about 4 weeks ago. Hopefully there won't be a follow up surgery after this, but I won't know til next week sometime.

For those of you who don't know....this isn't new to me. I found out I had stage II/III Melanoma a little over a year ago. The first mini surgery went well, had some stitches and all was fine. Then when those biopsy results came back, I found out it was a little deeper than they thought previously. I found out a few weeks before we left for our Italy Honeymoon. We scheduled a Lymph Node Biopsy and had surgery the DAY AFTER we came back, May 20th 2007. It was exhausting to say the least. The Lymph Node Biopsy was very important in order to determine if it was spreading and where. They spent a few hours going over procedures with me and then sent me down to radiology in the hospital to be injected with the dye that would be used to see if my lymph nodes were carrying it.

The surgery was on my lower and upper right groin and mid side of my right thigh. I would post photos, but they aren;t "blog" friendly....not sure who would pass out and who wouldn't hahaha.

Anyways, it was painful to walk about (thus why they waited til after we came back from Italy) and I had 4 stitches in each groin incision and 10 in the thigh. For a tiny mole (what it started as)...it was a very very big incision as it was further out as well.

I was cleared from Cancer altogether in July 2007. I have since had a recurrence 2 times, this being the 3rd. The surgery I have tomorrow isn't a lymph node biopsy like before, but a mini surgery to find out if its spreading and then would come a lymph node biopsy IF i need it. I don't think I do and neither do they, but we will see in a week or so.

Just wanted to update you all and hope you keep me in your thoughts and let's hope this is the last time.

<3>

1 comment:

Catriona said...

You are in my thoughts, Amanda. I'm so sorry to hear about this!